This review is for a Healthbeds Superking Pocket Latex 2000 mattress. I bought the product in Aug/13 and often "pad myself in the back" when I lay down after an exhausting day or wake up to with such comfy feeling - especially since doing the research was a nightmare !
If you're looking for a mattress and are a bit lost -- or about to start banging your head against the wall as I was with such confusing types of fillers, tops, density, materials etc -- just read on. I'm in no way an expert but perhaps the below might help you.
I'll do in three parts 1) Basic Principles 2) My Experience Mattress 3) Be Careful / Things to Avoid.
1) Basic Principles
- Coil spring is the most basic of all: the alternative if you're on budget
- Pocket spring will minimise the 'bouncing' between the two sides of the bed, but make sure the firmness (soft or firm) is the one you want.
- Pocket Count: they come in 600, 1000, 1400, 1600, 2000 etc. The number of pockets should increase if you're buying a very large mattress such as a superking.
- Latex: latest technology in mattress and really hard to fault. Things to look out for:
-- There are two types of latex, Talalay considered the best
-- Check for latex density (60, 70, 80 etc) to determine its 'consistency'
-- Check if latex is 'top-to-bottom' (= covering the entire mattress) or applied in 'zones' (= only in specific parts of the mattress)
-- Check for depth of latex (2,5cm, 3cm, 5cm etc): ideally the higher the better (and more expensive)
- Edges: check if mattress has reinforced edges
- Memory Foam: very soft but do make your research well. I've read lots of negative experiences about heat, lack of 'bounciness' etc. Check for alternatives to Tempur brand if you don't want to spend that much (that are other products on the market).
2) My Experience
I wanted firmness (grade 3 to 4) with comfort and decided for Pocket Spring with Latex. I've searched for products with Talalay, with good latex depth (I wanted at least 5cm), and at least 2000 springs for a superking.
After searching and speaking and/or visiting with several companies (at least 10 I can remember), I've narrowed into DFS, Dreams, Factory Beds Direct and Best Price Beds.
I visited both DFS and Dreams and tried some products that convinced me to go for pocket latex, and more or less the firmness as well. I've asked all the questions above and discovered companies don't always want to disclosure the specs - sometimes the front sales don't even know themselves.
I then looked online to compare price, and tried to speak to Factory Beds Direct - to which I'll come to later. My feedback for DFS is... there were really nice, knowledgeable and more importantly very honest in their feedback. They didn't have the product spec that I wanted.
And finally, I tried Best Price Beds. They not only clarified all questions I had (and my oh my I asked a lot :-), but went out of their way to accommodate bespoken request and delivery dates.
These guys are straight to the point, they don't fuss about, they're honest and fair.
It took exactly 9 minutes for their two delivery guys to get the massive mattress from the lorry to my bed. Efficiency to the extreme WITH a smile !
HealthBeds mattress brand has the best product for me (pockets count, latex type, density, depth etc) and Best Price Beds offered the best price. They also offer return services which is an extra security element just in case.
I could not be happier with our new mattress, it's heavenly :) and Customer Services experience with both companies was exceptional, 10 out of 10.
(ps: a friend of mine and my in-laws who slept on the mattress decided to purchase one for themselves :-)
3) Be Careful / Things to Avoid
- Make sure you try a few mattress on any store to compare firmness and how you feel when laying down
- The feel of firmness will actually depend on your weight and/or your partner: the heavier the person the more support will need (sounds obvious I know). You can find two single mattresses bundled into one at the top: if you and your partner are looking for very different types of firmness etc, that might be an alternative.
- Ask about guarantee and conditions for return and/or refund, including products on Sale. Return fees can be hefty.
- Do measure your house entrance/path to make sure the mattress will fit (especially if it's a big one)
- About Factory Beds Direct: Their site has loads of information but when I called to speak to someone in sales, the treatment I received was quite condescending and rude. I tried to speak to the owner but was informed he was not interested and that told me to "go somewhere else" (I posted a review on that experience as well, and to my joy, have been harassed ever since).
I do hope this is helpful and wish you best of luck to find your new mattress !
I am utterly delighted with the Healthbeds 2000 Pocket Latex mattress just delivered by bestpricebeds.co.uk. They were extremely useful in helping me choose which mattress might be right for me and the delivery team were nothing short of stellar in getting the mattress to my bedroom (no mean task).
Buy with confidence! Great value.
To reply as a company, please sign up here.